News & Blog
News stories from the Chamber and related news are listed in the table below
National Transport Strategy Consultation
18th November 2019
This is an update from your chamber on some important policy work we have undertaken with the Scottish Chambers of Commerce, on the future direction of transport governance, infrastructure and policy over the course of the next few decades in Scotland.
Over the course of the last quarter, we have shared your views on the needs and priorities for businesses when it comes to transport in Scotland.
This has been done through the National Transport Strategy Consultation by Transport Scotland, that closed at the end of last month.
You can view the consultation paper here. And here is the Chamber Network submission into that consultation.
We would like to share with you some of the key issues we and the Chamber Network has identified in the submission regarding transport in Scotland;
- rural public transport provision;
- the lack of a commuter cycling network, compounded by poor road maintenance across all tiers of the roads network and an absence of meaningful driver / cyclist behavioural education and enforcement;
- the high volumes of freight transport on the road network;
- active travel is provided on a bid process approach, rather than from a strategic needs basis;
- Journey times and project delivery time for rail north of the Central Belt
- the lack of a national strategy to deliver electric vehicle charging points;
- the lack of resilience on the transport network during severe weather events;
- absence of promotion of connectivity to regional airports – strategic issue of increasing patronage and trying to reduce people driving to airports;
- Connectivity between job markets, limited by transport bottlenecks;
- Weaknesses in spatial planning, lack of statutory approach to this;
- the impact of Air Passenger Duty on regional airports across Scotland.
If you have any comments or feedback, please feel free to get in touch and we will continue to work to ensure that your needs and views are shared with the Scottish Government and other important stakeholders.
Colin Campbell,Communications & Research Executive -Scottish Chambers of Commerce Tel: 0141 444 7508 Email: CCampbell@scottishchambers.org.uk