News & Blog
News stories from the Chamber and related news are listed in the table below
Town and BID Resilience and Recovery Fund announced
18th June 2020
The Scottish Government’s Communities Secretary, Aileen Campbell, has announced that £2 million of new funding to help support the recovery of local communities as coronavirus (COVID-19) measures are gradually and carefully eased.
The funding will be administered by Scotland’s Towns Partnership, the national body for towns. In addition, the fund will help town centres and high streets prepare and adapt for the lifting of lockdown, the funding will help finance emergency recovery projects such as:
- Digital markets and virtual high streets;
- Online local jobs and volunteering platforms;
- 'Open for business’ guides and maps; and
- Physical distancing street markers, one-way systems etc.
The Towns and Business Improvement Districts (BIDs) Resilience and Recovery Fund will be deployed through the following streams:
- £1 million will be allocated directly to towns, and will be open to local authorities as well as community and development trusts, Chambers of Commerce, and town centre partnerships to address immediate concerns.
- Eligible organisations will be able to apply for the fund from Monday 15 June. Application and guidance documents, with full information about the fund’s eligibility and processes, will be made available from 15 June via the Scotland’s Towns Partnership website – scotlandstowns.org.
- £700,000 will be allocated to Business Improvement Districts. This recovery funding is in addition to the £1 million BIDs Resilience Fund announced in March. BIDs will be able to access the new funding from September 2020 when the current BID Resilience Fund expires. Information about this fund will be communicated directly to BIDs and via the Scotland’s Improvement Districts website – improvementdistricts.scot/.
- The remaining funding will be used for data analysis, communications and the development of a national media campaign to support town recovery. More details